When TikTok first appeared, it seemed like yet another social media platform that didn’t stand a chance against Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. The initial idea was to share short video clips boosted with fun filters and trendy music.
Did it look like an original concept? Yes! Did anyone assume that TikTok would become the second most popular free app download in 2019? Hardly.
The best TikTok videos started showing up across Instagram and Twitter, so everyone was intrigued: what’s this new platform and why is it so popular?
But using the platform is not as easy as it seems. Sure, you can use a popular filter and create your own TikTok video with it. But if you want to create unique content that would turn you into an influencer, you need to learn how to edit TikTok videos.
What Makes TikTok So Cool?
Focus – that’s the first reason why TikTok is so popular. 69% of all users are young adults from 13-24 years old. If we add the 25-34 segment here, it turns out that 85% of the users are below 34 years old. This creates a youthful, vibrant environment that brings a breath of fresh air in the world of social media.
The best TikTok videos are pleasant, fun, and safe to be watched by minors. The platform has a strong stance against online bullying, so young people can feel secure to create their presence there.
For businesses that target a young audience, TikTok can serve as a great marketing platform, too. But most of all, the app is fun. Everyone gets a chance to use it and create a unique TikTok video when they feel inspired. Why miss the chance?
How to Make TikTok Videos
TikTok has a built-in editor that’s extremely easy to use.
- You choose a filter that you like, and you use it to record your own TikTok video.
- Use the red button to start and pause recording.
- If you want to record a TikTok video but you’re not sure about the effects, start a recording session and hit the “Add a sound” command. You’ll be taken to the huge sound library, which you can search by keywords.
- You can use the flip button to change to your front camera if you want to film yourself.
- The Timer button is essential. It shows the video’s timeline. You can tap the start and stop point, so the app will auto-record your video without the need to use the recording button.
Sure; filming a video is easy. But if you’re looking for the most unique effect, you’ll want to move away from the basic filters. Now you’re trying to figure out how to edit TikTok videos from scratch.
How to Edit TikTok Videos: 2020 Guide
Once you record a video by following the tips in the previous section, it’s best to edit it before making it public. Here are a few simple tips on how to edit TikTok videos:
- Master the Built-In Editing Options
The platform gives you a few features to create the best TikTok videos:
- Filters – You can choose from the library of available filters. Depending on the type of content you want to create, it’s easy to select an adequate filter.
- Cover – You can choose an interesting cover for your video. It will be the frame that TikTok users first see when browsing through their feeds. If they go through your profile or through the specific effect and see a unique cover among all other videos, they will want to see the content behind it.
- Mixer – This option lets you adjust the TikTok video by setting relative sound levels between the selected soundtrack and the sound you recorded. It’s an essential feature for creating unique content.
- Trim video – You can use this button if you want to make the video shorter. Keep in mind that TikTok users do not like lengthy content. It’s all about keeping it short and fun.
- Edit segments – If you access the “Effects” section, you’ll get a library of various effects that you can use. However, you’ll also see a timeline for your TikTok video. You can apply a certain effect to a particular segment of the recording. By using different effects, you can create the transformation videos that are so popular right now.
- Add stickers – They may be a bit outdated and too “Instagrammy,” but play around with them. You might find a unique way to use them, so you’ll exaggerate a certain effect.
TikTok’s built-in editing features also allow you to adjust the volume, write text to showcase along the video, and add visual and sound effects after you created the recording.
- Use an App to Edit Videos on Your Computer
This social media platform was designed to work as an app, so it’s pointless trying to figure out how to download TikTok on Mac. But if you want more professional-like editing, you can use an app on your Mac to adjust the videos you record.
- CameraBag Pro has a clean interface, which is even easier to use than TikTok’s built-in editor. It’s also more powerful, since it gives you 200+ filters that make you stand out from the crowd.
Since your Mac and iPhone are connected in an ecosystem, it will be easy for you to access the edited video through your phone, get it in your library, and use it for TikTok.
You can also use an app on your phone to edit the videos outside of TikTok.
- FilmoraGO is a popular editor for iOS and Android. It gives you advanced voice-recording options, which result with better sound than what you can achieve through TikTok.
The only downside is that if you don’t subscribe for the paid FimoraGo plan, you’ll have to share your videos with a watermark. In case you didn’t notice, the best TikTok videos don’t have a watermark from the editing app. That doesn’t make the content look professional enough.
- Figure This Out: How Do I Make My TikTok Videos Longer?
TikTok gives you a length limit for your videos; it’s 15 seconds. However, you’ve certainly seen longer videos being shared on the platform, which made you wonder: how do I make my TikTok videos longer?
Outside the app, you can record your own videos. We already gave you a suggestion on how to edit them on your Mac. When you upload those videos on TikTok, the platform lets you select the up-to-60-second option. You can also combine multiple clips together in a longer recording.
If you want to record a longer video directly in the app, this is what you do:
- Tap on the + icon to start a new project
- Tap on “More” (the icon with three dots)
- You’ll see the “Duration” option in the top right corner of your screen
- When you tap on “Duration, the allowed length will be changed from 15 to 60 seconds
Are You Ready for TikTok Fun?
TikTok is mostly fun. If you’re not using it for business, let yourself go. Not every video has to be perfect. You can use a filter that’s been used thousands of times before. You want to show how your dog reacts to the popular sounds? If it’s not boring to you, then it’s still fun and people will watch it.
But if you want to create the best TikTok videos and you want to use the platform as an influencer or marketer, you’ll need a more professional approach. Invest more time and effort in editing; it pays out.
About the author:
James Dorian is a technical copywriter. He is a tech geek who knows a lot about modern apps that will make your work more productive. James reads tons of online blogs on technology, business, and ways to become a real pro in our modern world of innovations.