If you’re into Instagram I am sure you’ve probably experienced or heard of someone experiencing action blocks. Instagram made new changes to their algorithm starting June and these blocks started to happen more and more.
There are many theories out there, some more decent than others. It is not yet known though if these blocks are totally intentional or just an error on their part. This is due to the fact that a lot of regular people that have never used automation in their life seem to be getting blocked as well. It might be a new spam filter gone bad, an error on their part, or they are just testing around until they find the sweet spot.
Whatever it is, it is clear that they are serious about stopping the people that want to use their platform for marketing and they are growing their accounts organically rather than paying for their ads.
There are many things that can be said about this, however most is just speculation. What we can do is see how to deal with the problem with the tools we have at our disposal.
First of all we should all understand that the age of following/unfollowing 1000 people per day is gone. It was fun while it lasted, however we do need to focus on other strategies to help grow our accounts.
Instagram was incredibly permissive with their daily limits for the follow tool – let’s be serious, no normal user follows and unfollows that much each and every day. There are good things about this though:
- Many spammers will give up on Instagram automation which means that your targeted audience will be receiving fewer notifications overall, thus yours will get noticed faster.
- It’s probably the end of “social signal panels” or they will get extremely expensive since it will be harder than ever to provide such a service so again, there will be more place for your accounts to shine
- You’ll have the time to learn and implement new strategies to get more attention on your account and when you’ll be able to follow again you’ll get better results with fewer actions.
Why was everyone using the follow-unfollow method so much ?
That’s because it was the easiest! Every new person coming to Instagram “marketing” read that one first. You follow and unfollow enough people and eventually your account will grow. From now on you’ll have to think more, to create a strategy and do everything you can to get more targeted eyeballs on your account. There are a lot of other actions you can do on Instagram to attract attention, you’ve just probably never bothered with them till now.
So let’s see what exactly you can do to get over this dark period.
1. Use the contact tool more
This doesn’t mean you should start spamming messages now. Be smart, take it easy, try to look like a normal user so they will have no reason to block any action you do. Start slow and do more actions gradually. Here’s what you can do:
- Use the Contact Tool to promote your brand by dropping a message to probable clients.
- You can message people who liked and commented on your posts or target posts.
- Express your gratitude to those who have interacted with your content, answer queries and at the same time grab the opportunity to disseminate key details about your product.
2. Post to your Stories as well
Posting quality content on your accounts is a must but as a supplement, you can publish to your Stories multiple times a day.
You take advantage of this Instagram feature to encourage engagement on your account.
Experiment on the different things you can accomplish when you post to your Stories as discussed on How Instagram Stories Can Enhance Account Growth
3. Use the Like, Comment, Story Viewer and the Like Comments tools
- Liking Posts – You can use the Like Tool and start giving likes to posts published by people of your preferred niche.
- Comment on Posts – Leave a warm and genuine comment on the posts that are relevant to your niche using the Comment Tool.
- View Stories – The Story Viewer Tool is one of the recommended actions you can execute when warming up the accounts all the way to maturity. You can choose to view stories of people who engaged with your target posts, your own followings, and more.
- Liking Comments – Show acknowledgement to people who leave comments not just on your posts but on posts applicable to your market. Use the Like Comments Tool and start giving hearts where it is needed.
4. Use the delete posts tool
Keep a well structured profile, tidy up your account’s wall and make it enticing. You can use the Delete Posts Tool to remove irrelevant contents and retain quality posts or posts that have high engagement.
5. Take advantage of the Like Exchange tool to rank your posts higher for related hashtags
Ranking your posts in the hashtags section related to your niche is one of the most important ways you can grow your Instagram account organically and we developed a tool that can help greatly with that, it’s called the Like Exchange and you can read more about how it works here: The Like Exchange Tool.
Make sure you publish high quality posts and use the right hashtags. You can read the following guide on how to do hashtag research: Complete Instagram Hashtag Research for Any Niche With JARVEE.
In the last update we added the following feature:
“Campaign Instagram – Added option in Overview Advanced Settings Instagram to Add alt text to your image posts. Enable it if you want alt text to be posted. Very useful for SEO, you can read about the option here : https://blog.iconosquare.com/instagram-alt-text/ “
Don’t forget to take advantage of that feature as it will help rank your posts for those hashtags, just make sure you use the right relevant words and hashtags inside the alt image text.
6. Keep using the follow/unfollow strategy but at a much slower pace.
All these changes don’t mean the follow-unfollow strategy is dead. You just need to be more careful about it, better target the people you want to follow so you don’t waste actions on bot, dead or useless accounts.
Keep it slow, many people are talking about a 6000 follow limit within a 30 day period, that would mean a maximum of 200 follows per day. I’d say that is still too much, but it’s up to you. If you have several accounts feel free to test for yourself. Even with 100 highly targeted follows per days you will do fine. Try to use the sniper approach instead of the shotgun one.
If you had/have a block on your account wait for it to pass. Then start following again very very slowly. I’d give it a week after the block was lifted and start with 10 follows per day and grow it daily with 1-2 more follows. Baby steps but you will get there!
7. Ultimately – Instagram is not the only answer, promote your Instagram account on other social networks as well
Don’t set your social media marketing strategy in a way that it only focuses or relies too much on one social media network, a lot of businesses were hit hard in the last few months when Facebook updated their algorithm and decreased pages reach.
On the other hand, businesses who didn’t focus solely on Facebook weren’t affected as much.
Below, I will mention a few methods you can use to promote your business on other Social Networks as well.
If you are an agency and using Jarvee to grow your clients Instagram Accounts, you can use these methods to promote their Instagram Accounts and once you get familiar with a specific Social Network, you can add it to the list of your services.
I will keep things short so this post doesn’t turn into a book, you can also use Google to find other strategies to promote your business on Social Media:
- Use the Group Finder Tool to find niche related groups and use the Joiner Tool to join them and then promote your business or account there (How To Post On Facebook Groups Without Getting Penalized).
- Extract pages likers or group members and send them a friend request and then message them about your business using the Contact Tool.
- Use the Comment & Like Tool to comment on posts.
- Use the Like Comments Tool to like users comments on posts related to your niche. Most of them will be curious to see who liked their comment and they will visit your profile where you will have posts about your business.
- Use the Group Finder Tool to find niche related groups and use the Joiner Tool to join them and then promote your business or account there.
- Use the Comment Tool to comment on posts.
- Use the Follow Tool, Like Tool, Profile Viewer Tool, Connector Tool and the Endorse Connections Tool to get people to visit your Linkedin profile.
- Use the Follow / Unfollow method.
- Use the Favorite Tool to get attention to your profile.
- Use the Follow / Unfollow method.
- Use the Comment Tool to comment on posts and get attention to your Profile.
- Use the Follow / Unfollow method.
- Use the Like Tool to get attention to your profile.
- Use the Upvote Tool to Upvote your answers and rank them on top of all other answers.
We have a Social Exchange Tool for all these social networks. So, don’t forget to take advantage of it to rank your posts higher for the Hashtags.
It’s is never the end, just a new beginning. Don’t give up, adapt and you will do just fine! You might do even better since there will be less competition.
The hard truth is that there is no way around this, there is no “solve” even though that is probably what you are looking for. This is coming directly from Instagram and it appears to be here to stay so the only way to go forward is to adapt. The sooner you realize that the sooner you get back on track.
If you’re still interested in Instagram, you can find more useful information and strategies on our comprehensive free Instagram course: INSTAGRAM AUTHORITY BY JARVEE